Plot No V1
The front yard area where the vessels are recycled is 10,818 sq mt and it is suitable for recycling of 2 VLCC and 1 Panamax simultaneously. It is fully covered with impermeable concrete flooring and a highly effective drainage system.
The back yard is about 65,000 sq mt out of which 27,500 sq mt of area is end to end impermeable where the large steel blocks of the vessels are received from the front yard and then recycled into smaller sizes, assorted and delivered to steel recycling mills.
The site hosts essential elements such as an oxygen storage tank, fire station, electric room, restrooms, toilets, waste storage area, hazardous waste storage areas, labour quarters, etc.
Ship Recycling Business at Alang
- Alang is located approx. 50 km. from Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India.
- The nearest airport is Bhavnagar (BHU)
- There are about 163 ship recycling yards out of which 120 are fully functional at Alang – Sosiya ship recycling area.
- Out of the 120 functional yards at Alang, more than 60 compliant facilities have green certification as per Hong Kong Convention from acclaimed class bodies such as Class NK, RINA Class and IRS Class.
- By arming themselves with ISO, the Indian yards are fully capable of green ship recycling
- The Gujarat Maritime Board has invested millions of rupees to create facilities for the safe disposal of hazardous wastes generated from recycling activities
- On an average, Alang recycles about 500 ships with annual sales turnover over $1.3 Billion every year
- At full operating capacity, this industry both directly and indirectly employs more than 200,000 workers